Bottoms up: Tart Cherry Juice for Chronic Pain and Insomnia

Wow! I just came across a few articles discussing the anti-inflammatory benefits of tart cherry juice, which is apparently equivalent to over the counter painkillers (NSAIDs). I get significant relief from my endometriosis symptoms and myofascial pain syndrome symptoms using ibuprofen, but I often worry about taking too much, because of the damage NSAIDs can do to your stomach lining. This sounds like a potentially wonderful natural alternative. There is dispute about the extent of inflammation in fibro, although one study found inflammation of the fascia ( connective tissue – the sheath that covers muscles). So, natural anti-inflammatories may help fibro pain too. Amazingly, that’s not all tart cherries can do for us. They also contain melatonin, the hormone that tells your body it’s time to go to sleep. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial showed that drinking tart cherry juice in the morning and before bed helps improve sleep time and time in bed.  Maybe this will help with my insomnia too!  I’m going to head out and get me some tart cherry juice.  Bottoms up!

Reference: ‘Report – Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Tart Cherry’ Life Extension Magazine June 2013

What You Need to Know
Guard Against Degenerative Disease and Inflammation with Tart Cherries

Guard Against Degenerative Disease and Inflammation with Tart Cherries

• Physical exercise can induce muscle damage that generates inflammation and with it, burning, stiffness, and pain. The effect worsens with age.
  • Standard treatment with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen (Advil®) involves potentially deadly adverse effects, such as stroke.
  • Evidence shows that the weave of complex anthocyanins and phenols in tart cherries provides superior protection against muscle injury—by safely inhibiting the pain and inflammatory effects.
  • The potent components in tart cherries have been demonstrated to deliver high-level protection against inflammatory and degenerative diseases, including cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, and neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
Advertisements

11 thoughts on “Bottoms up: Tart Cherry Juice for Chronic Pain and Insomnia

• Katarina says:

Good question! Most of the studies had participants drink either one or two 8 oz. glasses per day – morning and evening. You can order it in canada from Well.ca or Eden Organics and probably find it in the health food store. Another commenter posted a link to Swanson vitamins tart cherry juice. Apparently concentrate can be more cost effective (one tablespoon concentrate to a cup of water). I’m still waiting for mine! I’ll let you know how it goes.

1. teeks55 says:

Now THIS I agree with. 🙂 My husband and I have been using tart cherry juice concentrate (make sure you get the CONCENTRATE, not just regular cherry juice) and it really does seem to help him. He has had chronic knee pain for a long time and when he takes the cherry concentrate mixed with some water each night, his knee pain has disappeared. I am taking it too but I have not noticed pain relief, but I HAVE noticed that my sleep is improved. Sometimes I forget to take it. So thank you for the reminder. I am going to go take some right now. We get ours at Swanson Vitamins website. It’s reasonably priced and good quality stuff. Shipping is only $5 for 3 bottles.

• Katarina says:

Thanks for sharing your experience with it! And some advice on where to get it! I was having a bit of trouble figuring that part out because my local health food store doesn’t have it.

2. teeks55 says:

Katarina….I have looked around online and in our local health food store here, and Swanson Vitamins tart cherry juice concentrate (the link I posted above) is the most reasonably priced and also the most potent that I’ve found. You can get 3 bottles at a time and shipping is only $4.99. Yes you only need 2 TBSP mixed with any beverage of your choice for one serving. They recommend two servings a day. I usually take it with a small glass of water with a bit of sweetener or sugar (it’s WAY tart!!!). I am going to start using it 3 times a day just to see how it works on my inflammation. I have been told for the past 30 years that I am borderline lupus and RA because of the high inflammation in my blood work. Just not enough to meet the criteria for a diagnosis. So they just send me away with no treatment for the inflam., and I can’t take high enough doses of NSAIDs because they raise my blood pressure. (I’m on 4 blood pressure meds and still my pressure spikes) So I want to see how this works if I take it three times a day. Just a little experiment. LOL Why not, right? Wish me luck! And let me know how it works for you if you try it. 🙂

3. Hello Fibro (@HelloFibro) says:

Thank you for sharing this info! This is great to know. I am always looking for natural alternatives for pain relief. In addition to having fibromyalgia, I have sleep apnea as well, so the tart cherry juice’s properties that help with insomnia are a plus for me! I think I am going to head to my natural health store today to pick up some and give it try.

• Katarina says:

Thanks for stopping by and reading! I hope the tart cherry juice helps you out with some of your symptoms! It’s great to find natural alternatives that really work.

• Katarina says:

I hope it works for you! I think it has a lot of potential to help in different ways. The worst thing that could happen is that it helps out with general health because of all the super antioxidants and phytonutrients it contains. Also it’s an easy way to have another serving of fruits and veggies!